Prof. Lee graduated from Duke University with PhD in Physics. He is a Research Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Northwestern University. His career is to pursue pioneering work in the application of quantum phenomena, and to institute a novel, exciting research and educational program related to quantum information science.
Developing four-wave mixing fiber based entanglement source with a cooled dispersion shifted fiber, entanglement distribution over 100km, photon-pair generation in nanoscale silicon waveguide, and a fiber based indistinguishable degenerate photon-pair scheme. Exploring intrinsic quantum correlations of weak coherent state for quantum key generation, photon-pair scattering through a random medium, quantum correlation of macroscopic objects via spatial compass state and Wigner function.
(1) Yong Meng Sua, John Malowicki, Massaki Hirano, Kim Fook Lee, "Generation of high purity entangled photon-pair in a short highly nonlinear fiber," Opt. Lett. 38, 73-75 (2013) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.38.000073
(2) Y. M. Sua, J. Malowicki, and K. F. Lee, "Quantum Correlation of Telecom Wavelength Photon-pair through Multiple Scattering Media," in The Rochester Conferences on Coherence and Quantum Optics and the Quantum Information and Measurement meeting, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America,2013), paperW6.27.
(3) Y. M. Sua, J. Malowicki, and K. F. Lee, "Quantum Correlation of Fiber based Photon-pair through Standard Loss and Random Media," in Frontiers in Optics 2013, I. Kang, D. Reitze, N. Alic, and D. Hagan, eds., OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2013), paper FTh1B.4.
(4) Yong Meng Sua, and Kim Fook Lee, "Macroscopic mechanical correlations using single-photon spatial compass state and operational Wigner function," Phys. Rev. A 85, 062113 (2012) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.85.062113
(5) Paul Rojas, Rachel Blaser, Yong Meng Sua, and Kim Fook Lee, "Optical Phase-Space-Time-Frequency Tomography," Optics Express 19, 7480-7490 (2011) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.19.007480
(6) Yong Meng Sua, Erin Scanlon, Travis Beaulieu, Viktor Bollen, and Kim Fook Lee, "Intrinsic Quantum Correlations of Weak Coherent States for Quantum Communication," Phys. Rev. A 83, 030302(R) (2011) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.83.030302
(7) Viktor Bollen, Yong Meng Sua, and Kim Fook Lee, "Direct Measurement of Kirkwood-Rihaczek distribution for spatial properties of a coherent light beam," Phys. Rev. A 81, 063826 (2010) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.81.063826
(8) Worawarong Rakreungdet, Jae Hoon Lee, Kim Fook Lee, Brian E. Mischuck, Enrique Montano, and Poul S. Jessen, "Accurate microwave control and real-time diagnostics of neutral-atom qubits," Phys. Rev. A 79, 022316 (2009) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.79.022316
(9) Kim Fook Lee, "Observation of bipartite correlations using coherent light for optical communication," Opt. Lett. 34, 1099 (2009) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.34.001099
(10) Jun Chen, Joseph B. Altepeter, Milja Medic, Kim Fook Lee, Burc Gokden, Robert H. Hadfield, Sae Woo Nam and Prem Kumar, "Demonstration of a Quantum Controlled-NOT Gate in the Telecommunications Band," Phys. Rev. Lett. v.100, p.133603 (2008) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.133603
(11) Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, and Prem Kumar, "Deterministic quantum splitter based on time-reversed Hong-Ou-Mandel interference," Phys. Rev. A, 76, 031804(R) (2007) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.76.031804
(12) Chuang Liang, Matthew Shin, Kim F. Lee, Jun Chen, Prem Kumar, "All Fiber Telecom Band Correlated Photon Pair Source for 10 GHz Quantum Applications," Nonlinear Optics: Materials, Fundamentals and Application 2007 (July 30–August 3, 2007) Hawaii http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/NLO.2007.MA4
(13) Milja Medic, Kim Fook Lee, Joseph Altepeter, Burc Gokden, Chuang Liang, Sae Woo Nam, Prem Kumar, "Tomographic Characterization of Fiber-Generated Polarization-Entangled Bell States," Proc. SPIE Optics East (2007) 10.1117/12.734503
(14) Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, Xiaoying, Paul Voss and Prem Kumar, "Schemes for fibre-based entanglement generation in the telecom band," New J. Phys. 9, 289 (2007) 10.1088/1367-2630/9/8/289
(15) Chuang Liang, Kim Fook Lee, Milja Medic, Prem Kumar and Saw Woo Nam, "Characterization of fiber-generated entangled photon pairs with superconducting single-photon detectors," Optics Express, 15, 1322 (2007) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.15.001322
(16) Jay E. Sharping, Kim Fook Lee, Mark A. Foster, Amy C. Turner, Michal Lipson, Alexander L. Gaeta, and Prem Kumar, "Generation of correlated photons through parametric scattering in nanoscale silicon waveguides," Optics Express, 14, 12388 (2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.14.012388
(17) Xiaoying Li, Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, Chuang Liang, Paul L. Voss, and Prem Kumar, "Fiber based entangled photon pair source," Proc. SPIE 6344, 63440E (2006) 10.1117/12.693402
(18) K. F. Lee, Matthew A. Hall, Chuang Liang and Prem Kumar, "Generation of High-Quality Telecom-Band Entangled Photon Pairs with Only 2 Meters of Highly Nonlinear Fiber," Postdeadline Paper PDP-FC7, at the Frontiers in Optics 2006 –the 90th OSA Annual Meeting, Rochester, New York, (October 8-12, 2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/FIO.2006.PDP_FC7
(19) K. F. Lee, Jay E. Sharping, Mark A. Foster, Amy C. Turner, Bradley S. Schmidt, Michal Lipson, Alexander L. Gaeta, and Prem Kumar, "Generation of Correlated Photons in a Silicon Chip," Postdeadline Paper Th4.5.3, ECOC’06, Cannes, France, (September 28, 2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.14.012388
(20) Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, Chuang Liang and Prem Kumar, "Fiber-based telecom-band degenerate-frequency source of entangled photon pairs," Optics. Letters. 31, 2798-2800 (2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.31.002798 This work was highlighted in Nature Photonics, Fibre optics: Quantum talk, Published online: 5 October 2006.
(21) Chuang Liang, Kim Fook Lee, Todd Levin, Jun Chen, and Prem Kumar, "Ultra Stable All-Fiber Telecom-Band Entangled Photon-Pair Source for Turnkey Quantum Communication Applications," Optics Express, 14, 6936 (2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.14.006936
(22) Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, Chuang Liang and Prem Kumar, "Fiber-based Degenerate Correlated-Photon Source in the Telecom Band," postdeadline paper, 2006 Digest of the LEOS Summer Tropical Meetings, pages 16-17, July 17-19th, Quebec City, Canada. 10.1109/LEOSST.2006.1693995
(23) C. Liang, K. F. Lee, J. Chen, and P. Kumar, "Distribution of fiber-generated polarization entangled photon-pairs over 100 km of standard fiber in OC-192 WDM environment," postdeadline paper, Optical Fiber Communications Conference, 2006 and the 2006 National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, CA, March 5–10, 2006, pages 1-3; See paper 06-P-2219-OFC/NFOEC. This work was highlighted in Technology Review, Thursday, April 13, 2006, The Impact of Emerging Technologies: Making Quantum Practical. And also in Optics & Photonics New, page 25, June 2006. 10.1109/OFC.2006.216068
(24) K. F. Lee, J. Chen, C. Liang, X. Li, P. L. Voss, and P. Kumar, "High-purity telecom-band entangled photon-pairs via four-wave mixing in dispersion-shifted fiber," postdeadline paper at the Frontiers in Optics 2005 –the 89th OSA Annual Meeting, Tucson, AZ, October 16-20, 2005; paper PDP-A4. http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0602034
(25) K.F.Lee, Jun Chen,, Chuang Liang, Xiaoying Li, Paul L. Voss and Prem Kumar, "Generation of high-purity telecom-band entangled photon pairs in dispersion-shifted fiber," Optics Letters, 31, 1905 (2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.31.001905
(26) Xiaoying Li, Chuang Liang , K.F.Lee, Jun Chen, Paul L. Voss and Prem Kumar, "Integrable optical-fiber source of polarization-entangled photon pairs in the telecom band," Phys. Rev. A 73, 052301 (2006) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.73.052301
(27) Xiaoying Li, Paul L. Voss, Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, and Prem Kumar, "Measurement of co- and cross-polarized Raman spectra in silica fiber for small detunings," Optics Express, Vol. 13, pp. 2236-2244 (2005) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.13.002236
(28) Prem Kumar, Paul L. Voss, Xiaoying Li, Kim Fook Lee, Jun Chen, Chuang Liang, Preetpaul Devgan, Renyong Tang, and Vladimir S. Grigoryan, "Parametric Processes in Fibers for Quantum and Classical Communications Applications," International Quantum Electronics Conference 2005 and the Pacific Rim Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics 2005 (IQEC/CLEO-PR 2005), May 22-27, pages 1675-1676, at Toshi Center Kaikan, Tokyo, Japan. 10.1109/CLEOPR.2005.1569849
(29) Prem Kumar, K.F.Lee, Jun Chen,, Xiaoying Li, and Paul L. Voss, "Quantum Information Processing with Optical Fiber," Quantum Electronics and Laser Science, 2005 Conference, 22-27 May, Vol. 1, pages 350-352 (2005).
(30) Xiaoying Li, Paul L. Voss, Jun Chen, Kim Fook Lee, and Prem Kumar, "Measurement of co- and cross-polarized Raman spectra in silica fiber for small detunings," in Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference (QELS) Technical Digest, Baltimore, May 22-27, pages 1563-1565 Vol. 3, 2005.
(31) Liang, Chuang, Lee, Kim F.; Voss, Paul L.;,Corndorf, Eric;,Kanter, Gregory S., Chen, Jun, Li, Xiaoying, Kumar, Prem, "Single-Photon Detector for High-Speed Quantum Communication Applications in the Fiber-optic Telecom Band," in Free-Space Laser Communications V. Edited by Voelz, David G. Ricklin, Jennifer C. Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 5893, pp. 282-287, (2005)
(32) K.F.Lee and J.E.Thomas, "Entanglement with classical fields," Phys. Rev. A. Vol. 69, 052311 (2004) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.69.052311
(33) K.F.Lee and J.E.Thomas, "Experimental simulation of two particles quantum entanglement using classical fields," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 88, pp. 097902 (2002) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.88.097902
(34) A.Wax, F.Reil, K.F.Lee, S.Bali and J.E.Thomas, "Wigner phase space distribution and coherence tomography," Proceedings of the SPIE – Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. in Saratov Fall Meeting’99:Optical Technologies in Biophysics and Medicine, Vol.4001, pp.130-4 (2000)
(35) J.E.Thomas, F.Reil, K.F.Lee, A.Wax and S.Bali, "Wigner phase space distribution and coherence tomography," Proceedings of the SPIE – Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. in Optical Pulse and Beam Propagation II, Vol.3927, pp.147-155 (2000)
(36) J.E.Thomas, F.Reil, K.F.Lee, A.Wax and S.Bali, "Wigner phase space distribution and coherence tomography," Proceedings of the SPIE – Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. in Laser-Tissue Interaction XI: Photochemical, Photothermal, and Photomechanical, Vol. 3914, pp.363-371 (2000)
(37) K.F.Lee, F.Reil, S.Bali, A.Wax and J.E.Thomas, "Heterodyne measurement of Wigner distributions for classical optical fields," Opt. Lett., Vol.24, pp.1370-2 (1999) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.24.001370
(38) K.F.Lee, F.Reil and J.E.Thomas, "Classical-wave analogs of quantum state measurement," Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, 2001(QELS’01) Technical Digest, Baltimore, pages 62-63 (2001) 10.1109/QELS.2001.961856
(39) F.Reil, K.F.Lee and J.E.Thomas, "Two-window heterodyne methods for measurement of optical coherence in multiple scattering media," Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, 2001 (QELS’01) Technical Digest, Baltimore, pages 145-146 (2001) 10.1109/QELS.2001.961973
(40) S.Singh, K.F.Lee, Y.Ou and D.C.Cantrell, "Measurement of Higher order correlation of light from second harmonic generation," in Frontiers of Quantum Optics and Laser Physics, S.Y.Zhu, M.O.Scully and M.S.Zubairy(Eds).(Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1997). pp. 336-351.
(41) S.Bali, K.F.Lee and S.Singh, "Two-photon detection of light from a degenerate parametric oscillator," Opt. Commun, Vol.142, pp.223-8 (1997) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0030-4018(97)00322-2
(42) Wang, C.Y, Weili Zhang ,K.F.Lee and K.M.Yoo, "Pulse Splitting in a self-mode-locking Ti:Sapphire laser," Opt. Commun, Vol.137, pp.89-92 (1997) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0030-4018(96)00743-2
(43) K.F.Lee and H.B.Ahmad, "Fractional photon model of three-photon mixing in the non-linear interaction process," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 28, pp. 35-8 (1996) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-3992(95)00053-4
(44) Hooi,Y.C, Ahmad,H.B and K.F.Lee, "Operating Characteristics of neodymium doped silica fibre laser," Jurnal Fizik Malaysia. , Vol.15, pp.121-5 (1994)
(45) K.F.Lee and H.B.Ahmad, "The study of the angle dependence of the effective nonlinear coefficient in BBO," Jurnal Fizik Malaysia., Vol. 15, pp. 127-32 (1994)
(46) H.B.Ahmad, K.F.Lee, A.L.Anis and F.A.Rahman, "Transverse pumping of Ti:Sapphire," Jurnal Fizik Malaysia., Vol. 15, pp. 17-20 (1994)
(47) K.F.Lee and H.A.Ahmad, "A simple model for the calculation of the walk-off angle in uniaxial crystal," Opt. Commun, Vol.104, pp.111-17 (1993) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-4018(93)90116-M
(48) K.F.Lee and H.B.Ahmad, "A simplified model for second harmonic generation in uniaxial crystals:phase matching condition," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.24, pp.349-51 (1992) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-3992(92)90088-J
(1) Optical Communication with Weak Coherent Light Fields by Kim Fook Lee, Yong Meng Sua and Harith B. Ahmad in the book "Theory and Practice of Cryptography and Network Security Protocols and Technologies," edited by Jaydip Sen, ISBN 978-953-51-1176-4, InTech, July 7, 2013.
(2) Prem Kumar, Jun Chen, Paul L. Voss, Xiaoying Li, Kim Fook Lee, Jay E. Sharping, “Chapter: 21-Fiber-optic quantum information technologies," Optical Fiber Telecommunications V A (Fifth Edition) Components and Subsystems Copyright © 2008 Elsevier, Incl. All rights reserved. Edited by: Ivan P. Kaminow, Tingye Li and Alan E. Willner, pages 829-880.